Place Category: Government
Ponca City is home to one of the most beautiful city halls in the United States. Designed by Solomon Andrew Layton (architect of the Oklahoma State Capitol Building), City Hall was first built as the City Auditorium in 1916. In 1922 the east and west wings were added and the building became known as the Civic Center, housing city offices and the police and fire stations. The three separate buildings were later connected and the total renovation was completed in 2003.
Centennial Plaza, located in front of the City Hall, was created to honor the families that staked their claims during the historic Land Run of September 16, 1893. In 1993 local citizens purchased personalized bricks to “stake their claim” in the Centennial Plaza and make their name a part of Ponca City’s history.
Centennial Plaza is home to three sculptures:
- The “Centennial Monument” by Jo Saylors commemorating the Land Run
- The statues of “Ernest Whitworth Marland” by Jo Davidson and “Lewis Hanes Wentz” by Jo Saylors, honoring both of the oil millionaires and philanthropists
- A plaque honoring Burton Seymour Barnes, the founder of Ponca City and its first mayor, stands near the sidewalk on the west side of the Plaza. And the latest addition to the southwest City Hall lawn is the original fire bell, now located in front of the Number One Fire Station.